Slurm version 23.11rc1 is now available
We are pleased to announce the availability of Slurm release candidate version 23.11.0rc1.
To highlight some new features coming in 23.11:
- Substantially overhauled the SlurmDBD association management code. For clusters updated to 23.11, account and user additions or removals are significantly faster than in prior releases.
- Overhauled 'scontrol reconfigure' to prevent configuration mistakes from disabling slurmctld and slurmd. Instead, an error will be returned, and the running configuration will persist. This does require updates to the systemd service files to use the --systemd option to slurmctld and slurmd.
- Added a new internal auth/cred plugin - "auth/slurm". This builds off the prior auth/jwt model, and permits operation of the slurmdbd and slurmctld without access to full directory information with a suitable configuration.
- Added a new --external-launcher option to srun, which is automatically set by common MPI launcher implementations and ensures processes using those non-srun launchers have full access to all resources allocated on each node.
- Reworked the dynamic/cloud modes of operation to allow for "fanout" - where Slurm communication can be automatically offloaded to compute nodes for increased cluster scalability.
- Added initial official Debian packaging support.
- Overhauled and extended the Reservation subsystem to allow for most of the same resource requirements as are placed on the job. Notably, this permits reservations to now reserve GRES directly.
- This is the first release candidate of the upcoming 23.11 release series, and represents the end of development for this release, and a finalization of the RPC and state file formats.
If any issues are identified with this release candidate, please report them through https://bugs.schedmd.com against the 23.11.x version and we will address them before the first production 23.11.0 release is made.
Please note that the release candidates are not intended for production use.
A preview of the updated documentation can be found at here
Downloads are available here